Vice President of Technical Services
Milwaukee, WI 53215
VICE PRESIDENT OF TECHNICAL SERVICES
A unique opportunity for a Technical Leader to take charge of product development and design for an award-winning company destined to double sales over the next five years!
THE COMPANY - The company started in a construction trailer in 1996 and will exceed $75 million in sales in 2019 and exceed $90 million in 2020. Over the past 22 years the company has become the leading manufacturer in their space. They are a designer and manufacturer of large, custom built metal fabrications. Their “customer first” philosophy has resulted in rampant growth, committed relationships with over 100 customers and a reputation as the “Gold Standard” in the industry. They do business in all 50 states and have installations in 13 countries. They have two manufacturing operations in the Milwaukee, WI area totaling over 300,000 square feet. They have expanded production capacity seven times over the past 20 years. The company has won numerous awards including “Future 50” (three times); Inc. Magazines 5000 award as one of Americas fastest growing companies (four times); Entrepreneur Magazines “Hot 100 list; “Most Valuable Supplier” by the Material Handling Equipment Distributors Association; Named among Wisconsin’s “Best Places to Work” by the Milwaukee Business Journal.
This is an outward focused, sales driven company with a keen appreciation for “voice of customer”. They consider their core strengths to be Engineering, “Turnkey” design capability, “Quick Manufacturing” process, a Nimble Quote to Order to Manufacturing process and a high degree of employee tenure.
Recent growth has been stellar. In 2015 they had 90 employees. Today they have 220. They tripled their sales since 2015 and are on track to achieve $100 million in 2021. This growth has been achieved organically vs. acquisition. They sell to systems integrators, original equipment manufacturers, end users and distributors.
Their steel structures are used by companies of all sizes, including nearly every major national retailer, distribution and fulfillment companies as well as government and military entities. Markets the company serves includes Material Handling, Industrial Processing, Bulk Material Handling, Cement, Asphalt, Aggregate, Food, Beverage, Mining, Oil, Gas, Petrochemical, Plastics, Power Generation, Pulp & Paper, Recycling & Waste Management and Wastewater Treatment.
They use high tech manufacturing tools including AutoCAD 2018, Building Information Modeling (BIM) software, Tekla structural software, STAAD Pro structure analysis and design software, robotic welding, CNC drill presses, plasma steel cutting, and two electrostatic powder paint systems.
They strive to provide a “Total Customer Experience” vs. Customer Service. That means placing themselves in the customers shoes to understand how they might help before the customer asks, shipping on time, providing superior quality (make it right the first time) and completely understanding their customers process and needs before design and production. It’s less about “selling” and more about partnering to earn respect and long-term relationships.
THE OPPORTUNITY – As Vice President of Technical Services for our client you will interact with sales, customers, the engineering group, suppliers, manufacturing operations and executive management. You will be responsible for leadership of six direct reports who have responsibility for a team of 50 technical employees who handle project quotes, system design, print development, internal print approvals and release, customer approval, project planning, project metrics and engineering change notices. You will report to the Chief Operating Officer. The organization will look for you to facilitate effective and frequent communication with sales and operations regarding upcoming projects and in process engineering and build of systems. You and your group will provide guidance on engineering, build process, materials and structural improvements that will reduce cost and shorten engineering and build time. They will expect you to challenge conventional wisdom as it relates to design and push the envelope. Specific responsibilities include:
- Analyzing material and labor costs with focus on cost reduction
- Implementing engineering continuous improvement initiatives
- Leading projects to standardize parts and components with multiple part numbers
- Developing an online library to archive common systems and minimize “from scratch” engineering
- Leading the charge on new product development and product enhancement
- Designing components the organization does not have now but needs in order to compete
- Developing an R&D process to explore needs sales identifies that are not mainstream
- Delineating functions between two plants regarding standard systems and innovative, engineered systems
- Significant experience as a senior executive with a focus on leading and motivating people in a culture of operational excellence.
- Bachelor’s Degree in business or a technical field.
- Knowledge of 2D, AutoCAD, 3D modeling, as well as other design and manufacturing related technologies.
- A proven track record of leading and driving work-flow process improvements.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in budgeting, capital planning, capacity planning and productivity pipeline projects.
- Is attracted to a sales driven, assertive, fast-paced, technology focused company with a strong customer service focus that consistently earns repeat business.
- Has the humility to step back and speak openly about mistakes
- Has developed technical service teams that are decisive, self-driven, committed to meeting deadlines and continually improve processes.