Vice President of Sales & Marketing
Milwaukee WI Franklin, WI 53132
VICE PRESIDENT OF SALES & MARKETING
This is an empowered opportunity for a sales leader to chart the course for an award winning, fast growing company destined to triple sales over the next five years!
THE COMPANY - The company started in a construction trailer in 1996 and will reach $75 million in sales in 2018. Over the past 22 years the company has become the leading manufacturer in their space. They are a designer and manufacturer of large, custom built metal fabrications. Their “customer first” philosophy has resulted in rampant growth, committed relationships with over 100 customers and a reputation as the “Gold Standard” in the industry. They do business in all 50 states and have installations in 13 countries. They have two manufacturing operations in the Milwaukee, WI area totaling over 300,000 square feet. They have expanded production capacity seven times over the past 20 years. The company has won numerous awards including “Future 50” (three times); Inc. Magazines 5000 award as one of Americas fastest growing companies (four times); Entrepreneur Magazines “Hot 100 list; “Most Valuable Supplier” by the Material Handling Equipment Distributors Association; Named among Wisconsin’s “Best Places To Work” by the Milwaukee Business Journal.
This is an outward focused company with a keen appreciation for “voice of customer”. They consider their core strengths to be Engineering, “Turn Key” design capability, Quick Manufacturing” process, a Nimble Quote to Order to Manufacturing process and a high degree of employee tenure.
Recent growth has been stellar. In 2015 they had 90 employees (all are still there). Today they have 275. They tripled their sales since 2015 and are on track to achieve $100 million in 2019. This growth has been achieved organically vs. acquisition. They sell to systems integrators, original equipment manufacturers, end users and distributors.
Their steel structures are used by companies of all sizes, including nearly every major national retailer and every major distribution and fulfillment company as well as government and military entities. Markets the company serves include Material Handling, Industrial Processing, Bulk Material Handling, Cement, Asphalt and Aggregate, Food and Beverage, Mining, Oil and Gas, Petrochemical, Plastics, Power Generation, Pulp & Paper, Recycling & Waste Management and Wastewater Treatment.
They use high tech manufacturing tools including AutoCAD, Building Information Modeling (BIM) software, STAAD.Pro structure analysis and design software, robotic welding, CNC drill presses, plasma steel cutting, and two electrostatic paint systems.
They strive to provide a “Total Customer Experience” vs. Customer Service. That means placing themselves in the customers shoes and understating how they might help before the customer asks, shipping on time, providing superior quality (make it right the first time) and completely understanding their customers process and needs before design and production. It’s less about “selling” and more about partnering to earn respect and long-term relationships.
THE OPPORTUNITY – As the Vice President of Sales and Marketing, you will supervise three experienced sales representatives and manage outsourced marketing services suppliers responsible for advertising, promotion and digital marketing. You will report to the company president.
Key initiatives include:
- Working with the sales staff, engineering, senior leaders and distributors to profile model customer types as a basis for strategic planning
- Refining the company’s strategic plan with focus on voice of customer and sales
- Facilitating goal setting and tactical deployment of strategic plan initiatives
- Organizing the sales process
- Steering the company to a predominance of repeatable business vs. one of a kind, engineered solutions
- Establishing sales pipeline discipline and setting clear priorities on what types of business sales employees should pursue
- Providing leadership and guidance for three experience sales representatives
- Strengthening the company’s marketing presence and capabilities
- Assuming total responsibility for sales management, allowing owners to “work on the business” vs. for it
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR IN A CANDIDATE
- Has owned strategic planning or had a seat at the table
- Has managed a consultative sales organization in an engineered products environment
- Has a healthy impatience and a keen appreciation for execution
- Understands the relationship between marketing (building the tools) and sales (utilizing the tools)
- Understands “end-to-end” project management
- Knows when to listen and when to lead (in control ego that doesn’t need to have all the answers)
- Is accustomed to building a business case and defending it
- Is a consensus builder
- Is willing to travel 30% to 35%
- Has a sense of humor