Vice President of Global Operations
Vice President of Global Operations
This is an opportunity for a senior manufacturing leader to assist a fast-growing company align recent acquisitions with production growth needs that play to their strengths, preparing the company to achieve a 75% growth plan over the next 5 years.
THE COMPANY - Our client has 51 years of history and has evolved from a small tool & die company to a global manufacturer of industrial automation equipment. The founders started with the commitment to make high quality precision products, make sure customers are satisfied and provide responsive service. They had confidence customers would reward them with their business as a result. Growth and product evolution since that first day have been impressive and the commitments have not changed over the years.
The company has locations in Southeast Wisconsin (headquarters), Canada, Mexico, Malaysia and Germany. The headquarters operation is an upscale, 140,000 square foot office and manufacturing facility. They have a loyal, committed workforce of 350 people with an average tenure of 8 years (many over 25 years). The company has experienced impressive organic growth over the last two years and has also completed three acquisitions to expand manufacturing capability and global reach. Their workforce has doubled in the same period. Annual sales approach $80 million and are forecasted to reach $135 million over the next 5 years.
Their equipment is currently used in over 1,200 different industry segments including packaging, food processing, manufacturing, warehouse distribution, pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturing. The company is viewed as a premier provider in their industry and has a significant opportunity to grow share over the next 10 years. Every piece of equipment is built to the customer’s specific requirements and can ship in as little as 72 hours! They support field installations through a staff of highly trained service technicians, factory parts support and a 24/7 Service Hotline. The company also employs a technically trained inside sales staff to answer customer questions on machine application. They go to market through 100 distributors that are based throughout North America and around the world.
THE OPPORTUNITY – As the company’s Vice President of Global Operations you will provide strategic and operational leadership for the company’s four manufacturing operations. You will be responsible for five direct reports including Plant Managers (US, Asia, Europe, Latin America) and a Continuous Improvement Manager. They are collectively responsible for supervision of 185 exempt and non-exempt employees. Key areas of focus include:
- Assess strengths and capabilities of recent acquisitions to build certain types of products, i.e., determine what to manufacture where in four global plants
- Improve on time shipment
- Increase manufacturing efficiency and yield
- Continually implement process improvements
- Implement factory automation where ever possible
- Initiate advanced manufacturing processes to accelerate growth and profitability
- Continually improve product quality
- Continue implementation of lean manufacturing practices
- Balance factory automation with near term and future man power planning to ensure an adequate workforce in the face of baby boomer retirements
- Foster a lean and engaged culture that empowers people to make independent, logical, experience-based decisions (vs. waiting to be told what to do)….a culture that embraces change and continuous improvement
This is an opportunity to help a fast-growing mid-market company with a great reputation drive for operational excellence, grow through continued acquisitions and capitalize on market share opportunities. The opportunities for personal career growth within the company, or at one of their sister companies are stellar. You will be a key member of the senior leadership team and report to the company’s CEO.
• Bachelor's Degree in a Technical or Business field
• Has production leadership in a highly engineered manufacturing environment
• Has management level direct reports
• Experience managing global operations with diverse workforces
• Solid lean manufacturing implementation experience
• Has been responsible for strategic planning
• Extensive ERP and MRP knowledge
• Ability to travel 30% - 40%