Quality Engineer & Continuous Improvement Manager
Quality Engineer & Continuous Improvement Manager
Our client is a smaller company with a "family feel" who puts its employees first. They have been in business for over 30 years and currently have 2 facilities with a 3rd on the way. They have just over 100 employees at this time. This is a very profitable and stable organization. They do not manufacture a product or keep inventory or ship any product, but their process helps their clients produce their product at less cost but makes their products stronger and lighter. They are in demand!
Reports To: Vice President of Research & Development
Position Description Summary:
The Quality Engineer & Continuous Improvement Manager will lead the evolution to modify the Quality Management System (QMS) to be in adherence with the ISO2015 standard and IATF16949 standard, while also ensuring continued compliance with ISO-2015, IATF-16949, ITAR and NADCAP certifications. This role will also be responsible to work with the plant facilities to ensure robust processes are in place. Additionally, this role will be tasked with setting up quality systems and processes in a new facility for the company.
Essential Function(s) of the Position:
- Maintain all Quality System Certifications and the activities related to such.
- Provide leadership to perform gap analysis between current Quality System and ISO-2015 + IATF-16949
- Work with Plant Managers to develop continuous improvement processes through factories
- Set up quality systems and processes in new facility and future new facilities for the company
- Root cause analysis of product and process non-conformances and implementation of corrective actions to mitigate the root cause of the non-conformance. The use of a disciplined problem-solving approach and documentation of all actions and information is required.
- Lead manufacturing plants in developing Control Plans and Work Instructions in accordance to their PFMEAs, Process Flows, & quality system requirements.
- Perform activities defined in the QMS responsibility matrix.
- Prepare quality documentation and reports by collecting, analyzing and summarizing information and trends including failed processes, stability studies, recalls, corrective actions, and re-validations.
- Analyze data from TotalTrac for quality assurance purposes. Develop methods for data collection to produce reports in Minitab for review by senior management. This information will be used to validate quality trends and evaluate alternatives to marginal manufacturing processes, making recommendations as required.
- Develop a robust SPC program that measures process capability and conformance to drive improvement.
- Complete internal Quality Audits and audit training including, but not limited to ISO, Nadcap and CQI-9.
- Participate in nonconforming material (NCMR) investigations.
- Develop innovative solutions to support the continuous improvement program. Lead appropriate Kaizen events to facilitate process improvements.
- Develop and analyze key Quality Metrics to measure the effectiveness of the QMS System.
- Assist in assessing the continued effectiveness of training programs to assure that employees can effectively execute their responsibilities within the QMS System.
- Annually review and update customer and industry standards to ensure continued compliance in relation to quality and environmental systems.
- Other duties as required or assigned.
Education, Experience and Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s Degree in one of the following disciplines from an accredited college or university: Mechanical Engineering, Metallurgical Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Quality Assurance or Industrial Management.
• 3-6 years of related work experience, preferably in a manufacturing setting.
• Six Sigma/Lean training
• Understands GD&T and technical specifications coupled with ability to apply them.
• Working knowledge of SPC techniques and statistical methods in general is required.
• Capable of developing charts and graphs from statistical data using Minitab.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Ability to make written recommendations for improving Quality Assurance Systems and Procedures.
• Ability to direct the organization in obtaining and maintaining the ISO-2015 and IATF-16949 certifications, Nadcap, compliance with CQI-9 and any specific customer requirements.
• Must be thoroughly familiar with commercial (AMS, NADCAP), specifications (CQI-9), and ISO 2015 and TS-16949 quality systems. AIAG Core Tool experience is preferred.
• Strong knowledge and hands-on experience of computer applications including Microsoft Office is required.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills to interact with personnel at all levels of the organization, as well as with customers.
• Critical thinking skills; using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
• Sound judgment and decision making skills; considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
• Strong attention to detail, organizational and time management skills; ability to successfully coordinate and complete multiple tasks within established and changing deadlines.
• Ability to grasp new ideas, concepts, processes and procedures quickly.
• Ability to interact with people at all levels of the organization.
• Team player with the ability to work both independently and as part of a team; and work with minimal direction.