Marion, SC 29571
PLANT MANAGER opportunity with a South Carolina manufacturer of large, high end, ocean going sailing craft. If this sounds like "love work", we should connect!
The current Plant Manager will be retiring soon after over 30 years of service with our client. The position reports to the COO of North American operations. He is clear on objectives and believes his managers should have full responsibility, accountability and authority to lead their operations. He provides support when needed, resources required to succeed and then stays out of the way. The current plant manager has developed an effective floor leadership team, has good processes in place and has established a visible metrics system to ensure everyone in the operation understands their role and expectations. There is a solid continuous improvement culture in plant including employee adherence to 5S practices and active lean manufacturing initiatives. The 150,000 sq. ft. operation has 200 employees of which 149 are hourly. They currently operate a single day shift. Production includes a 10 station, team based, single piece flow process. Each unit starts with a standardized platform and is then customized to owner specifications. The position has 10 direct reports including production supervisors, finance/accounting, industrial engineering and HR. Key metrics include safety, quality, rework, delivery and productivity. Key initiatives include continued lean manufacturing implementation, structuring the plant for continued growth, fostering a Continuous Improvement and Servant Leader culture and maintaining a reputation as one of the best places to work in the local community.
- Bachelor’s degree in Operations Management, Business Management, Industrial Engineering or Mechanical Engineering
- Current or previous plant management experience with a manufacturer of durable goods
- Experience with manufacturing metrics, process improvement, lean execution and continuous improvement
- Is a collaborative leader that likes to engage with people on the floor to problem solve and foster open communication on best practices
- Is willing to travel domestically and internationally two times per year