Manager of Budget and Financial Analysis
New York, NY
Under the direction of the Director of Budget and Financial Analysis, the Manager of Budget and Financial Analysis assists in the development, monitoring and review of the College of Physicians and Surgeons (P&S) annual operating budget including physician practices, grants, and fund balance activity, with a focus on the clinical enterprise. The Manager provides analytic support to address issues commonly found in large, complex academic medical centers. He/she will obtain thorough knowledge of Columbia's financial systems and reports and be able to use the reports to produce in-depth analysis of programs, services and service areas.
Ideal candidate should be inquisitive, motivated, a big-picture thinker with ability to drill down to the details, have strong analytical skills, and is seeking an opportunity to learn quickly in a challenging and fast-paced environment.
Candidates should also possess ability to analyze and coalesce data from multiple systems and present it in a straightforward format (both financial and narrative); have cutting edge skills with financial systems including spreadsheet preparation and presentation. General understanding of a medical center’s tri-part mission, familiarity with revenue and cost allocation methodologies, development of budgets, budget to actual analysis and financial ratios. Individual must be highly organized and familiar with databases.
- Assist in the analysis of the clinical budget submission with input from Directors within P&S Finance; assist in finalizing quarterly budget submission for review by Senior Leadership.
- Manage a portfolio of department budget submissions, quarterly forecasts and year-end close process. This requires the ability to:
- Work independently
- Juggle multiple responsibilities
- Review financial data and understand the underlying business of each unit
- Analyze operating trends and identify potential areas of opportunity or risk
- Review monthly departmental or unit performance against budget and provide reasonable and rational explanations for variances to Senior P&S Finance Leadership
- Analyze and investigate operational performance on a prospective, rather than a reactive basis and inform senior leadership when issues arise
- Attend routine status meetings with departmental administrators, gaining insight and knowledge regarding financial operating activity
- Perform other duties and “ad hoc” analyses as assigned.
- BA or BS in Accounting, Finance or related field
- Master’s degree strongly preferred
- Minimum of 4 years of experience in a large complex academic medical or hospital setting, or in an equivalent environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication and customer service skills
- Proven analytical and problem solving skills required
- Ability to understand business units without working in the unit on a day to day basis.