Manager, Power Distribution Engineering
Kansas City, MO
Manager Power Distribution Engineering
THE COMPANY - Our client is privately held and has been a leader in design, engineering and construction of electrical power systems for over 60 years. Their clients include rural utility service cooperatives, municipalities, invest-owned companies, public utilities and energy transmission companies. Engineering services include power transmission, power distribution, substation development and asset management. They have eight locations throughout the Midwest. Their process starts with standard design criteria and follows through with detailed designs, construction documents, contracts, contract administration and material lists. Once A project is under way, they have the ability to provide construction observation and project management. Their planning and design for electric power systems includes all phases of distribution, transmission and substations to 345kV. They can complete all phases of a client’s project from initial planning to site selection, construction management, startup and a final working system. The culture is non-political and open….decisions happen quickly.
This a family friendly company that provides employees the flexibility to manage both sides of their lives…work life and home life. Employees are given a high level of freedom to do their jobs and have responsibility and authority to make decisions and execute. There is a high level of team work and communication to ensure customer promises made are promises kept. There is a high level of tenure in the company with a number of 20, 30- and 40-year employees. The companies deep well of imbedded engineering experience allows them to take on large, complicated projects their competitors often shy from. The company has an Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) and many tenured employees have become owners.
THE OPPORTUNITY – As our clients Manager, Power Distribution Engineering you will be the center pole for power distribution installation planning, design, construction, operations and maintenance of electrical distribution systems. This includes new aerial, smart grid and underground projects as well as major upgrades to existing installations. Future installations will include wind and solar. You will oversee other engineers work and sign off on plans, prints and designs.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Making complex electrical computations to determine type and arrangement of circuits
- Determine size, type and number of transformers, circuit breakers, switches, lightning arresters, etc. required for projects
- Computing sag and tension for specifications on wire and cable
- Planning layout of pole lines and underground cable
- Determining height, location, spacing, guying, and insulating of poles Applying field mark-ups of project as-built drawings.
- Assisting project managers develop scope of work and conceptual design for projects
- Providing project engineering, construction, testing & commissioning support
You will report to the company’s Operation manager who has been with our client for 12 years and work in the company’s Kansas City area corporate office. You will be supported by a tenured technical services staff, project managers and a CAD engineering group. The company recently hired a number of new engineers to support growth and will look to you to be their chief technical resource and a mentor.
- Power distribution experience
- Professional Engineer license
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering
- Experience with planning studies
- Proficient with PLS CAD and AutoCAD
- Willing to travel 20 to 25% (most within 100 miles….company pool vehicles available)
- High proficiency with T&D design.
- Working knowledge of AC/DC fundamentals including three-phase power systems
- Experience with distribution design
- Understanding of materials, methods and tools used in construction of telecommunications facilities, power plants, commercial structures and highways