Milwaukee WI Milwaukee, WI 53223
A unique opportunity for an Engineering Leader to take charge of product development and design for an award-winning company destined to triple sales over the next five years!
THE COMPANY - The company started in a construction trailer in 1996 and will exceed $85 million in sales in 2018. Over the past 22 years the company has become the leading manufacturer in their space. They are a designer and manufacturer of large, custom built metal fabrications. Their “customer first” philosophy has resulted in rampant growth, committed relationships with over 100 customers and a reputation as the “Gold Standard” in the industry. They do business in all 50 states and have installations in 13 countries. They have two manufacturing operations in the Milwaukee, WI area totaling over 300,000 square feet. They have expanded production capacity seven times over the past 20 years. The company has won numerous awards including “Future 50” (three times); Inc. Magazines 5000 award as one of Americas fastest growing companies (four times); Entrepreneur Magazines “Hot 100 list; “Most Valuable Supplier” by the Material Handling Equipment Distributors Association; Named among Wisconsin’s “Best Places to Work” by the Milwaukee Business Journal.
This is an outward focused, sales driven company with a keen appreciation for “voice of customer”. They consider their core strengths to be Engineering, “Turn Key” design capability, “Quick Manufacturing” process, a Nimble Quote to Order to Manufacturing process and a high degree of employee tenure.
Recent growth has been stellar. In 2015 they had 90 employees. Today they have 275. They tripled their sales since 2015 and are on track to achieve $100 million in 2019. This growth has been achieved organically vs. acquisition. They sell to systems integrators, original equipment manufacturers, end users and distributors.
Their steel structures are used by companies of all sizes, including nearly every major national retailer, distribution and fulfillment company as well as government and military entities. Markets the company serves includes Material Handling, Industrial Processing, Bulk Material Handling, Cement, Asphalt, Aggregate, Food, Beverage, Mining, Oil, Gas, Petrochemical, Plastics, Power Generation, Pulp & Paper, Recycling & Waste Management and Wastewater Treatment.
They use high tech manufacturing tools including AutoCAD 2018, Building Information Modeling (BIM) software, Tekla structural software, STAAD Pro structure analysis and design software, robotic welding, CNC drill presses, plasma steel cutting, and two electrostatic powder paint systems.
They strive to provide a “Total Customer Experience” vs. Customer Service. That means placing themselves in the customers shoes to understand how they might help before the customer asks, shipping on time, providing superior quality (make it right the first time) and completely understanding their customers process and needs before design and production. It’s less about “selling” and more about partnering to earn respect and long-term relationships.
THE OPPORTUNITY – As the Engineering Manager for our client you will interact with sales, customers, the engineering group, suppliers, manufacturing operations and executive management. You will be responsible for a team of 13 Project Engineers who handle project quotes, system design, print development, internal print approvals and release, customer approval, project planning, project metrics and engineering change notices. You will report to the Chief Operating Officer. The organization will look for you to facilitate effective and frequent communication with sales and operations regarding upcoming projects and in process engineering and build of systems. You and your group will provide guidance on engineering, build process, materials and structural improvements that will reduce cost and shorten engineering and build time. They will expect you to challenge conventional wisdom as it relates to design and push the envelope. Specific responsibilities include:
- Analyzing material and labor costs with focus on cost reduction
- Implementing engineering continuous improvement initiatives
- Leading projects to standardize parts and components with multiple part numbers
- Developing an online library to archive common systems and minimize “from scratch” engineering
- Leading the charge on new product development and product enhancement
- Designing components the organization does not have now but needs in order to compete
- Developing an R&D process to explore needs sales identifies that are not main stream
- Delineating functions between two plants regarding standard systems and innovative, engineered systems
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical, civil, structural or architectural engineering
- Experience in Project Management or Engineering Management
- Experience with material handling equipment, conveyors, metal fabrication, mezzanine systems, pre-fab systems or engineered product design and assembly
- Experience within a sales driven culture.
- Seismic design experience.
- Proficiency with computer-based tools such as AutoCAD and Tekla
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally