Winston Salem, NC 27105
Our client is a global leader in the production of copper and copper alloy products used by a diverse customer base all over the world. The company employs over 7,000 people in 65 different locations with a rich history dating back to its founding in 1820. Currently they are seeking an Electrical Engineer who wants to join a winning team at their North Carolina location.
Reports to Engineering and Project Manager. Researches, develops, designs, and tests electrical components, equipment, and systems, troubleshoots and programs PLC’s and other machine controls.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned.
- Designs electrical equipment, facilities, components, products, and systems for commercial, industrial, and domestic purposes.
- Evaluates electrical systems, products, components, and applications by designing and conducting research programs; applying knowledge of electricity and materials.
- Designs and directs engineering personnel in fabrication of test control apparatus and equipment, and determines methods, procedures, and conditions for testing products.
- Develops applications of controls, instruments, and systems for new commercial, domestic, and industrial uses.
- Directs activities to ensure that manufacturing, construction, installation, and operational testing conform to functional specifications and customer requirements.
- Develops manufacturing processes by designing and modifying equipment; soliciting observations from operators and production needs.
- Performs advanced troubleshooting and writes machine programs for PLC’s and other logic controllers
- Configuration, Programming and troubleshooting of SIMATIC controllers S7-1200, S7-1500, S7-300 and S7-400
- Configuration, programming and troubleshooting Siemens HMI’s using Simatic Win CC flexible
- Configuration, programming and troubleshooting Siemens Variable frequency drives using Siemens Starter drives commissioning tool
- On call status required when needed during times of emergencies or adverse conditions.
- Draws up plans using computer-assisted engineering and design software
- Reviews and comprehends project instructions, manuals and blueprints to ascertain specifications, procedures, objectives, nature of technical problem, and possible solutions
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks
- Carrying out feasibility studies for new technical innovations Attending meetings, writing reports and giving presentations
- Estimates material, construction and labor costs, develops project timescales and requests quotes for equipment, parts and projects
- Making sure projects meet electrical and construction safety regulations
- Directs and coordinates operation, maintenance, and repair of equipment and systems in field installations. Must know when and who to ask for help.
- Assists maintenance in trouble shooting, repairs, and training, provides engineering information by answering questions and requests
- Is actively involved in improvement processes, has a good understanding of LEAN tools and applies / supports them in his / her work environment
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
- 3+ years of controls engineering design/programming experience preferred.
- Functional knowledge in Siemens Step 7 PLC and HMI programming systems.
- Experience with MS Office, Industrial networking and data base development a plus.
- Knowledge of Brands other than Siemens drive systems, motions controls and vision systems a plus.Uses computer assisted engineering and design software and equipment to perform engineering tasks.
- Deals effectively with all levels of personnel, internal and external. Maintains professional contacts with domestic and international representatives.
- Performs to a high level of self-discipline and ethics to protect the company’s interests.
- Basic knowledge of LEAN strategies and/or six sigma.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
College / Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in experience
Keywords: Electrical Engineering, Engineering, PLC, Siemens, Allen Bradley, VFD, A/B, Drives, Motors, Six Sigma, LEAN, manufacturing, copper. Alloy, metals, CAD, Design