Director of Environmental & Safety
Winston Salem, NC 27105
DIRECTOR of SAFETY & ENVIROMENTAL
Our client is a global leader in the production of copper and copper alloy products used by a diverse customer base all over the world. The company employs over 7,000 people in 65 different locations with a rich history dating back to its founding in 1820. Currently they are seeking a Director of Safety and Environmental that will report directly to the CEO of the company.
Reports to the CEO. Directs the activities of the Safety and Environmental departments
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned:
- Plans and implements safety policies and procedures in compliance with local, state, and federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA( and Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) rules and regulations.
- Plans and implements programs to train managers and employees in work site safety practices, fire prevention, and correct handling techniques for chemicals, toxins, equipment, and other materials.
- Prepares emergency procedure plan and educates workforce in the proper techniques of handling emergency situations.
- Compiles and submits accident reports required by regulatory agencies.
- Prepare studies and analyses of industrial accident causes and hazards to health for use by company personnel and outside agencies.
- Inspect and evaluate organization facilities to detect existing or potential accident and health hazards, recommend corrective or preventative measures where indicated, and follows up to ensure measures have been implemented.
- Provides information, signs, posters, barriers, and other materials to warn of potential and actual safety hazards and to prevent access to hazardous conditions.
- Investigate accidents to identify their causes and find ways to prevent them in the future. Cooperates in the preparation of material and evidence for organization use in hearings, lawsuits, and insurance investigations.
- Administers safety incentive program
- Plans and coordinates programs and activities designed to protect the environment and conserve natural resources.
- Areas of concern and continual improvement include waste reduction, energy conservation, quality of life, environmental compliance, and communication.
- Manages departmental budget allocation for Safety & Environmental activities
Primary responsibilities include managing the organization to include, but not limited to:
- Exercising authority that affects other employees’ rate of pay and hours worked. Directs the work of other employees. Appraises other employees for the purpose of making recommendations to hire, fire or change status of other employees. Regularly exercises discretionary power.
- Works in conjunction with the CEO and others in planning work and determining techniques to be used.
- Devotes less than 20% of time to activities other than those described above.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Demonstrates skill as a leader. Accepts and delegates high levels of responsibility for processes affecting the organization’s long term welfare.
- Deals effectively with all levels of personnel, internal and external. Maintains professional contacts with domestic and international representatives. Performs to high level of self-discipline and ethics to protect the company’s interests.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
College degree or equivalent in experience
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Production and office environment with daily administrative duties.
- Involves periods of sitting at desk and computer, standing, walking, and negotiating stairs, ladders elevated catwalks and platforms in hot or cold production environment on slippery surfaces for the purpose of directing operations and evaluating situations.
- Occasional day-trips and overnight travel by commercial airlines and/or surface vehicles for the purpose of attending conferences, workshops, conventions, etc.
Due to travel of this position, this individual will be required to obtain a valid passport within 6 months of obtaining the position. This passport must also be maintained and kept valid by the individual.
Keywords: Safety, Environmental, HSE,OSHA, EPA, manufacturing, industrial, rules, regulations, laws,