Director of Budget and Financial Analysis - Academic
New York, NY
Under the direction of the Senior Director of Budget and Finance, the Director of Budget and Financial Analysis assists in the development, monitoring and review of the College of Physicians and Surgeons (P&S) $2B annual operating budget including physician practices, grants, and fund balance activity, with a focus on the non-clinical, academic enterprise. The Director is part of the senior finance team, providing strong leadership and problem solving skills to the School. The Director provides analytic support to address issues commonly found in large, complex academic medical centers.
Ideal candidate should be dynamic, highly analytical, inquisitive, motivated, a big-picture thinker with ability to drill down to the details. Candidate must have exceptional work ethic, a strong executive presence, and excellent time management skills. We are seeking a self-starter with a well-developed aptitude for quantitative analysis capable of working with minimal oversight to set priorities, solve problems or meet senior leadership’s needs. He/she will obtain thorough knowledge of Columbia's financial systems and reports and be able to use the reports to produce in-depth analysis of programs, services and service areas.
Candidate must have a deep understanding of a medical center’s tri-part mission, cutting edge skills with financial systems including spreadsheet preparation and presentation. Familiarity with revenue and cost allocation methodologies, development of budgets, budget to actual analysis and financial ratios is preferred. Candidate should have the ability to synthesize complex issues into presentation to senior management and have excellent analytical and problem-solving skills. Individual must be highly organized and familiar with databases.
- Supervise and mentor a small team comprised of a manager and financial analysts, including: 1) various personnel actions including but not limited to hiring, performance appraisals, promotions and transfers 2) day to day supervision of staff work portfolio 3) development of training for staff
- Take a leadership role in developing the overall academic budget, including the research and educational enterprise. Work closely with CFO and Senior Director to craft the budget quarterly; identify and explain trends in global submission and craft narrative for Board of Trustee presentations
- Identify opportunities for process improvements and develop implementation plans
- Assist in development of budget guidelines and participate in crafting the long range plan for research and education business areas
- Undertake independent analysis of P&S financial issues and present findings in a comprehensive manner
- Analyze and investigate operational performance on a prospective, rather than a reactive basis and inform senior leadership when issues arise
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, changing environment. Must take initiative, be flexible and perform multiple tasks by setting priorities for the team
- Attend routine status meetings with departmental administrators, gaining insight and knowledge regarding financial operating activity
- Perform other duties and “ad hoc” analyses as assigned.
- Master’s degree in accounting or finance strongly preferred
- 7 to 10 years of progressively comprehensive experience in a large complex academic medical or hospital setting, or in an equivalent environment.
- Previous management experience preferred
- Proven skills in problem assessment and resolution
- Excellent oral and written communication and customer service skills, demonstrating persuasion and diplomacy
- Experience in change management and process re-engineering
- Strong time management and project management skills