Director, Accounting and Internal Controls
New York, NY
Under the direction of the Director of Accounting and Internal Controls, the Manager of Internal Controls assists in the execution of the comprehensive internal control function within the Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons. The Manager provides analytic and accounting support to address issues commonly found in large, complex academic medical centers. He/she will obtain thorough knowledge of Columbia’s financial systems and reports and be able to use the reports to produce analysis and make recommendations.
Ideal candidate should be inquisitive, motivated, detail-oriented, and is seeking an opportunity to learn quickly in a challenging and fast-paced environment. The person should also possess strong internal control experience.
- Manage the P&S review process for the documentation of Fair Market Value (FMV) of contracts to third parties for physician services. The reviews shall be done in conjunction with the Office of Legal Counsel, Controller’s Office and FPO Office.
- Review the research recharge licensing application process within P&S, ensuring compliance with federal guidelines
- Perform analysis of Endowment and gift usage to ensure compliance with donor intent
- Perform analysis of grant and gift overdrafts with proposal for remediation
- Oversight of P&S’s compliance regarding capital assets inventory tracking
- Collaboration with Executive Research Office to ensure necessary oversight of space inventory for F&A negotiations conducted by the University
- Review system access requests to determine appropriateness
- Review all additional compensation requests monthly
- Exceptional knowledge of review procedures and assist CUIMC Controller’s Office in providing audit documentation as needed
- Review and approve expense and business reimbursements for quality control. Maintain effective routing controls to ensure proper chain or approval and documentation.
- Perform other special projects and independent analyses to improve effective controls within the school
- BA or BS in Accounting, Finance or related field
- Master’s degree a plus
- Experience in internal audit/external audit/accounting strongly preferred
- Minimum of 4 years of experience in a large complex academic
- Excellent oral and written communication and customer service skills
- Strong internal controls knowledge
- Ability to work across the organization with all levels of staff