Associate Director of Budget and Financial Analysis
New York, NY
Under the direction of the Director of Budget and Financial Analysis, the Associate Director of Budget and Financial Analysis assists in the development, monitoring and review of the College of Physicians and Surgeons (P&S) annual operating budget including physician practices, grants, and fund balance activity. The Associate Director provides analytic support and problem solving to address issues commonly found in large, complex academic medical centers. He/she will obtain thorough knowledge of Columbia's financial systems and reports and be able to use the reports to produce in-depth analysis of programs, services and service areas.
Ideal candidate should be inquisitive, motivated, a big-picture thinker with ability to drill down to the details, have strong analytical skills, and is seeking an opportunity to learn quickly in a challenging and fast-paced environment.
Candidates should also possess ability to analyze and coalesce data from multiple systems and present it in a straightforward format (both financial and narrative); ability to identify solutions to complex problems; have cutting edge skills with financial systems including spreadsheet preparation and presentation. General understanding of a medical center’s tri-part mission, familiarity with basic research metrics, educational missions, and understanding of faculty compensation metrics and cost allocation methodologies are preferred.
- Supervise and mentor a small team of analysts
- Take leadership role in developing and managing the basic science / research enterprise budgeting and forecasting process
- Assist in managing the workflow for the P&S Finance Office
- Develop budget guidelines for education and basic science units
- Manage assigned area’s annual budget submission, quarterly forecast and year-end close process, with a focus on the research and educational enterprise
- Oversee the process and review submissions of national surveys
- Understand all aspects of the educational budget, including financial aid, to advise the senior leadership
- Review monthly departmental performance against budget and provide reasonable and rational explanations for variances to Senior P&S Finance Leadership, both for departmental level and for the research enterprise as a whole
- Analyze and investigate operational performance on a prospective, rather than a reactive basis and assist departmental leadership with strategic objectives
- Attend routine status meetings with departmental administrators, gaining insight and knowledge regarding financial operating activity
- Prepare business plans in conjunction with Departments
- Prepare presentations for senior leadership
- Perform other duties and “ad hoc” analyses as assigned.
- BA or BS in Accounting, Finance or related field
- Master’s degree strongly preferred
- Minimum of 5 to 7 years of experience in a large complex academic medical or hospital setting directly working with faculty practice budgets and/or service line or departmental budgets
- Excellent oral and written communication and customer service skills
- Demonstrated analytical skills
- Strong Time Management skills
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks at one time
- Ability to process re-engineer and develop new systems
- Strong Management skills