Our Steel Industry client is looking to add support for its Maintenance Organization and is ready to hire an additional Maintenance Supervisor for its Mobile, AL area mill. The company has strong ownership and growth in this sector is looking strong. The company offers competitive pay, profit sharing, and annual potential bonuses along with other standard benefits.
The Automation Engineer is responsible for a variety of hardware engineering, software engineering and maintenance functions including: analyzing automation performance, evaluating necessary automation changes, managing the implementation of automation improvements and benchmarking automation performance. The Automation Engineer performs these functions both as the manager of assigned automation projects, and as an on-shift maintenance resource for maintenance and operational departments.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Acquires a detailed understanding of all of the different automation systems.
- Works enthusiastically and with both technical competence and outstanding teamwork to deliver automation projects. Manages the specification, development, installation and validation of automation projects within budgetary and corporate guidelines.
- Managing system resources / diagnostic systems, and monitoring and tuning application/system processes.
- Modifying and upgrading networking equipment; monitoring network activity; and analyzing network and repair malfunctions.
- Maintaining physical system backups of the automation process programs; monitoring database performance; monitoring connectivity to applications; and performing software additions or modifications to insure database accuracy.
- Isolating and replacing defective field components; and diagnosing and correcting control malfunctions.
- Monitoring applications for proper performance; backing-up computer operating system and it's applications on various platforms; developing and evaluating various scripting languages.
- Planning, designing, developing, implementing and maintaining HMI applications and visual diagnostic tools.
- Generates detailed, comprehensive and clearly understandable documentation associated with each of the automation systems as required.
- Responding to Operator requests and problems; providing operator/maintenance training on new equipment, automation updates and control enhancements; generating reports; providing automation system root-cause analysis; and supporting research and development activities.
- Maintains an entrepreneurial approach in all aspects of the job; identifies sub-optimal practices and processes and suggest solutions for improvement; identifies opportunities and champion efforts to improve financial performance.
- Ensures compliance with all federal, state, and local regulatory requirements.Maintains and enforces compliance with all company policies.
Required Education and Work Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, Automated Manufacturing Engineering, or equivalent from an accredited university.
- Significant experience with Siemens type PLCs / HMI’s and software tools; strong experience with at least one major Automation software.
- Demonstrated proficiency with programmable logic controllers, electrical panel layout and design, working with bills of material, understanding electrical schematics and reading & P&ID drawings.
- Strong interpersonal skills with emphasis on communication and teamwork.
- Excellent knowledge of industrial electronic, electrical and electro-mechanical systems.
- Familiarity with principles of hydraulic and pneumatic systems.
Preferred Education and Work Experience
- Master’s degree in in Electrical Engineering, Automated Manufacturing Engineering, or equivalent from an accredited university.
- 2+ years of Automation experience in a heavy industrial setting.
Keywords: steel, steel, steel, automation, automation, automation, PLC, PLC, PLC, Siemens, Siemens, Siemens, HMI, HMI, HMI, electrical engineering, electrical engineering, electrical engineering, manufacturing, manufacturing, manufacturing,