Area Manager Maintenance
Area Manager Maintenance
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Reporting directly to the Division Manager of Rolling, this position is responsible for managing the overall maintenance activities performed by the Hot Strip Mill Maintenance Department.
- Directs activities of all maintenance process coordinators and shift managers. Will also indirectly coordinate and manage represented maintenance technicians.
- Responsible for managing the activities performed by maintenance forces as well as ensuring quality, continuity, reliability and the repair and maintenance of Slab handling, Hot Mill Furnaces, 80” Rolling Mill, Roll Shop, Strip Finish, Shipping, Bliss Mill as well as all the auxiliary equipment such as overhead traveling.
- Manages, schedules and plans outages with maintenance, engineering and production planning.
- Administer the safety program to ensure a safe work environment including proper housekeeping for all operating management and represented personnel.
- Approves, schedules and coordinates vendors and contractors as appropriate.
- Plans, organizes and manages area budget and expenditures. Drives cost saving strategies and cost reduction projects.
- Coordinate and make recommendations on strategic major maintenance and capital projects with engineering and production planning.
- Monitor maintenance activities and operations on an around the clock, 24/7 basis.
- Provides technical problem solving skills.
- Oversee and drive housekeeping efforts utilizing 5S principles.
- Monitors all stages of blast furnace maintenance to ensure Safety, Quality and Operating procedures, practices and guidelines are followed.
- Minimizes unit downtime and takes steps to improve performance of facility equipment.
- Assist managers and represented workers in diagnosing malfunctions in machinery and equipment.
- Assist production units in reaching safety, quality, delay and yield goals/targets for the Hot Strip Mill maintenance department.
- Develop and maintain proper inventories of required spares, tools, supplies and consumables to maintain reliable operations.
- Directs the writing, editing, auditing, reviewing and distributing SJPs and ECPs.
- Oversees all maintenance administrative functions such as ordering and expediting, scheduling, staffing and paying crews and managers in TIMEs system, completing reports.
- Directs and oversees the department’s safety program including conducting departmental safety meetings and individual conversations.
Bachelors level degree or equivalent experience. Engineering, Management or other related preferred. 8 – 10 years of Hot Mill Rolling maintenance supervisory experience. Experience directing and supervising unionized employees is a plus.
Desired skills, knowledge and qualifications for the role:
- Strong leadership skills
- Coaching and team building skills
- Good communications skills
- Sense of urgency and accountability
- Basic mechanical and electrical maintenance principles and theory
- Understanding of Hot Strip Mill operation and theory
- Computer skills including good keyboarding skills
- Planning, business and organizational skills
- Manufacturing/industrial maintenance experience
- Slab and Coil handling experience including traveling overhead cranes
Must have Steel Mill or Aluminum Mill Environment experience